Saturday, 23 January 2010

Harrier jump jet vs audio madness

I have a love hate relationship with my G4 1.25 dual MDD. Yes you heard it here.......:/
As a 32 bit computer, nothing comes close to it, absolutely nothing. Great looks, phenomenal computing power, superb operating system, and those @*!******** FANS!!!!!!!!!!!
If I had a harrier jump jet land in my back garden, I wouldn't hear it at all if the G4 was on. I'm not kidding you, I'm not surprised they were nick named "The wind tunnel Macs". Why spend £60 million on a harrier when you can pick up a MDD G4 for £120 on ebay!!!!!
I half expect it to be hovering in attack mode when I come back into the room, firing RAM chips out of it's exhaust vents! Crickey.......
I digress, I really do......
I was trying (being the appropriate word) to have a conversation with a friend of mine on Skype using a microphone through a Griffin iMic. All she could hear were the @*@******** FANS!!!!!!
I have decided to change them, once and for all, for I have inadvertently become the owner of a rather nice set of CD decks and a very powerful DJ mixer along with my Casio keyboard. So I have bought a MIDI interface and am currently plugging all this stuff in to the Mac and using it in Garageband.
Now I am no disk jockey by any stretch of the imagination, I can't spin a bike wheel let alone a CD or record, but I have 100's of loops on my external drive and I keep coming across 100's more as free downloads. The other thing is, I want to make my own, as I can never find what I am really looking for.
So the plan is to use my keyboard to produce the loops and to change the instrumentation and add effects in Garageband. It's bleedin' clever how it works. The mixer has all sorts of effects on it too, so I could use them to some extent provided I burn the tracks I have made onto CD's and play them through the mixer to add these effects and re-record them in real time on Garageband. A long winded way of doing things yes, but you never know or learn anything unless you try.
I would also like to record myself drumming, but a better microphone is required really, and I had better make that 2 microphones.
My friend Keith down the road here has Logic 6 plus various drums, a very nice Yamaha keyboard and a set of semi professional microphones, but the barn isn't finished yet for him to put all his stuff into, so I'm learning the audio trade as they say.
But those @***%£&**** FANS!!! are going big time this coming week when the new ones arrive :))))))))

No comments:

Post a Comment